Lemont edges Brother Rice, earns fifth IHSA Wrestling Dual Team State Finals berth
Head coach John St. Clair’s
wrestling program extended one of its finest seasons by earning its fifth state finals berth. The Indians topped Brother Rice, 43-33, in one of two matches at the IHSA Class 2A Oak Forest Sectional to gain the program’s second IHSA State Finals berth in three years. Lemont will compete at the 2017 IHSA Class 2A Wrestling Team State Finals on Saturday, February 25, at U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington.
The victory earned Lemont a match-up with Cahokia in an IHSA Class 2A State Quarterfinal at 9 a.m. on February 25. The winner of that match will face the victor of the Oak Forest-Wauconda quarterfinal at 2 p.m.; the third-place and championship matches will take place at 5:30 p.m.
Lemont reached the IHSA Class 2A State Finals in 2009, 2010 and 2011. It posted a program-best third-place finish in 2010, and earned another state trophy when it placed fourth in 2011. It last appeared in the dual team state finals in 2015.
Follow the IHSA Wrestling Team State Finals
Lemont won eight matches in the IHSA Sectional contest against Brother Rice, including five victories by fall. Senior Egan Berta
(152) and freshmen Grant LaDuke
(132), Drew Nash
(120), Kyle Schickel
(106) and Kyle Zator
(138) all pinned their opponents, while senior Damyen Gothard
(182) won by major decision. Senior Jake Kirkman
(160) earned a victory by decision, and sophomore Paul McGrath
(113) won by forfeit.
Berta, Gothard, Kirkman, LaDuke, Schickel, senior Jack Leffler
(126) and junior Alex Oruna
(195) all competed at the 2017 IHSA Class 2A Wrestling Individual State Finals from February 16-18. Berta and Kirkman each became the first wrestlers in school history to earn four individual state finals berths. Schickel was the IHSA Class 2A Runner-Up at 106 pounds, and Berta earned his second medal in as many years when he placed third at 145 pounds.
Lemont won the IHSA Lemont Regional on February 4 to earn its team sectional berth, and also advanced 10 wrestlers as individuals to the IHSA Thornridge Sectional.
Tickets are $7 for each session of the IHSA Team State Finals and can be purchased at U.S. Cellular Coliseum.
For more information, contact Director of School & Community Relations Tony Hamilton
at (630) 243-3280.