Lemont High School Summer Sports Academy registration now open
Registration now is open for Lemont High School’s Summer Sports Academy, which provides enrichment opportunities in a variety of sports for students of all ages. Some of the camps are geared toward students who will be enrolled at Lemont High School in Fall 2012, but others are for students who will be in kindergarten through eighth grade. Summer Sports Academy registration ends Friday, June 1.
Summer Sports Academy Registration
Some of the most popular Summer Sports Academy choices are those camps at which local grade school students get the opportunity to learn from the head coaches of some of Lemont High School’s most successful programs.
Students who will be in grades 6-8 this fall can take part in the following camps:
- Boys’ golf – Head coach Mark Hollatz guided the Indians to an IHSA Class 2A third-place finish in 2011
- Girls’ golf – Head coach Bill Mondrella led the Indians to an IHSA Class AA Regional Championship in 2011
- Boys’ volleyball – First-year head coach Zach Splitt is eager to build a winning tradition at Lemont
- Girls’ volleyball – Head coach Chris Zogata has led Lemont to four South Suburban Conference titles in five years
- Wrestling – Head coach John St. Clair had a school-record seven medalists at the 2011 IHSA Class 2A State Finals
Students who will be in grades 3-8 this fall have the opportunity to participate in the following camps:
- Baseball – Head coach Joe Rodeghero has led the Indians to three straight IHSA Regional crowns
- Boys’ Basketball – Head coach Rick Runaas guided Lemont to 25 wins and a conference title in 2011-12
- Girls’ Basketball – Head coach Bill Bozue is a Hall of Famer and one of the winningest coaches in IHSA history
Camps in cheerleading and football give students from the grade school and middle school levels a chance to learn from coaches of two of the school’s most decorated programs.
Intended for students entering grades 1-8, Lemont’s Youth Football Camp will help players at any level of development, from the first-year player to the seasoned veteran, with emphasis placed on both offense and defense. Campers will be grouped according to age and ability. Head coach Eric Michaelsen
led Lemont to consecutive IHSA Class 6A state runner-up finishes in 2007 and 2008, and a 12-1 record and an appearance in the IHSA Class 6A State Semifinals in 2011.
Head coach Brittany Glowa
has helped build Lemont’s cheerleading program into a perennial state power. The Indians won IHSA Medium Division State Championships in 2009, 2010 and 2011, and were third in 2012. Students from kindergarten through eighth grade can attend the Summer Sports Academy’s cheerleading camp.
Students who will be enrolled at Lemont High School in Fall 2012 can participate in a wide variety of camps.
Incoming freshmen can take part in boys’ or girls’ soccer camp under head coach Rick Prangen
, who has led Lemont’s boys’ squad to three straight IHSA Sectional titles and the girls’ program to top-three IHSA Class 2A finishes in two of the past three years. The boys’ golf camp also is open to incoming freshmen.
Lemont High School students from all classes can participate in camps in boys’ and girls’ basketball, football, boys’ and girls’ swimming, boys’ and girls’ tennis, boys’ and girls’ volleyball, and wrestling. Head coach Erin Boyd
has seen both male and female swimmers from her programs move on to participate at the collegiate level. Boys’ tennis coach Jon DeGuzman
and girls’ tennis coach Chris Hill
have seen their respective teams dominate South Suburban Conference play over the last several years.
To obtain a brochure for the Youth Football Camp, contact Eric Michaelsen
at (630) 243-3225. For more information on the Summer Sports Academy, contact Athletics Secretary Deb Finnegan
at (630) 243-3207.