Dress and Appearance Guidelines
Lemont High School students are expected to dress and groom themselves in an appropriate manner. The intent of the school’s Dress and Appearance Guidelines is to promote a good learning environment without imposing undue restriction upon each individual’s freedom.
The primary responsibility for student dress rests with parents/guardians and students, as long as such dress and grooming does not present a health or safety hazard or disrupt the educational process. The school hopes students’ decisions regarding dress and appearance will be governed by what the students and their parents/guardians personally know to be reasonable and appropriate for the school setting. Modesty always is appropriate.
Parents/guardians and students should use the following guidelines:
- Students must be clothed from the shoulders to a reasonable length on the thighs.
- Midriff shirts, half shirts, halters, spaghetti strap/tank top shirts, and shirts that are low cut or revealing are not allowed.
- All clothing with excessive or revealing holes or rips is prohibited.
- Undergarments should not be able to be seen.
- Extreme clothing that is distracting may not be worn.
- Numerals, slogans, clothing and accessories that bear unacceptable symbols or insignia, including, but not limited to, references to gangs, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, profanity, vulgarity or sexual innuendo, and/or drawings on clothing that are offensive, obscene, profane or disruptive to the educational process will not be allowed.
- Hats, caps, head coverings, spiked apparel, chains, pins and other metal accessories and/or sunglasses may not be worn in the building at any time; hats must be stored in lockers or bookbags at all times.
- Trousers, slacks, shorts and skirts should be worn around the waist.
- For safety and health reasons, some form of shoe must be worn.
- Outer garments like coats may be worn or carried to classes if approved by the teacher; they will not be allowed if they create a safety concern or distraction.
- Some areas of the school require special safety and/or health protection.
- Students are prohibited from wearing designer contact lenses, including but not limited to, cat-eye and red contacts, to alter their appearance.
- Students are prohibited from using rubber bands or other restraints to alter their clothing
Students violating dress and appearance guidelines will be given an opportunity to correct the violation. The Dean or a designee will address any violation. Students may be required to return home to correct violations. When a student’s appearance disrupts the educational process, creates unnecessary attention or infringes upon the rights of others, the student may be subject to disciplinary action. In extreme cases or when a student chooses not to cooperate in correcting the situation, he/she may be subject to further disciplinary action. Students who repeatedly violate these standards may be suspended. Health and safety standards will be maintained at all times for the protection of students and property.